Due to growing hostility toward the Confederacy the U. S. Postal service may never again issue stamps that include an image of the Confederate battle flag. Only two such examples exist. Both with issued in 1976 as part of our country’s bicentennial. Sheets of fifty stamps were printed with one stamp on each sheet representing the state flag of each state in use at the time. As pictured below, both the Georgia and Mississippi flags included images of the Confederate battle flag.
Other stamps featuring Confederate icons were issued as early as 1937 and as late as 1995.
- First was a Lee-Jackson stamp from 1937
- Second, was a 1949 Washington & Lee University issue.
- Third, was a 1951 Confederate Veterans stamp issued together with a GAR stamp.
- Fourth, was a 1955 Lee definitive.
- Fifth, was a 1970 Stone Mountain commemorative.
- Sixth, was a 1995 sheet of twenty 32-cent stamps honoring various Civil War personalities including seven Southerners.
My Civil War Books